Air Force Office of Scientific Research

Gallery »

Air Force Office of Scientific Research: Arlington, Va. - With a worldwide exchange program for scientists and engineers, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) is the basic research manager for AFRL.  AFOSR invests in long-term, broad-based research into aerospace-related science and engineering. To accomplish this mission, AFOSR has formed a strong, productive alliance with other government agencies, U.S. industry and the academic community. Nearly 80 percent of the research is conducted in academia and industry and the remaining 20 percent is conducted within AFRL. AFOSR's investment in basic research programs is distributed to about 300 academic institutions, 145 contracts with industry and more than 150 internal AFRL research efforts.

« Back

Advanced Propulsion Technology to Benefit Nanosatellites

A Lab-sponsored University of Michigan Professor is developing the NanoFET, a novel electric rocket thruster that enables spacecraft to travel faster and with less propellant tha previous technology allowed.

Chilling Results for MURI Effort

Thanks to AFRL Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) funding, a team led by University of New Mexico (UNM) professor Dr. Mansoor Sheik-Bahea created the first solid-state cryocooler capable of airborne and spaceborne sensor application.

Heat Resistant Ceramic Coatings Offer Thermal Protection for Hypersonic Flight

AFOSR-supported research at the University of Arizona is investigating high-temperature resistant ceramic coatings that will provide thermal protection for Air Force hypersonic flight vehicles.

Mini-Thrusters No Small Achievement in Satellite Propulsion /h2>

Based on the in-progress development of miniature electric propulsion systems, or mini-thrusters, small satellites--including CubeSats, the Air Force's latest--may soon perform space maneuvers with greater ease and undertake increasingly formidable tasks, such as searching for planets beyond earth's solar system.

New Algorithm Adds Up to “Just Enough Testing” for Faulty Software

Funded in part by AFRL's Young Investigator Award, University of Nebraska researchers developed an algorithm and open source tool to address the issue of faulty software, a problem of urgency to deployed troops whose missions-and sometimes whose lives- depend on properly functioning systems. Designed to ensure "Just Enough Testing", the technology increases software test process efficiency and integrity across the broad range of operational military systems, generating tests 300 times faster than current tools permit, reducing overall test time and cost, and boosting user confidence regarding test reliability.

WOW Technologies, Bio Inspired Flight for Micro Air Vehicles

"The animals fly and we take their video at very high speed so we can really see the detail. At the same time we shine a laser behind them so that we can see the motion of the air that the animals make as they fly."